Fundraising Consulting & Special Event Producing Services
James P. Reber
Successful Fundraising & Producing for over 30 Years
Professional Fundraising Consultant: Board Development for Nonprofits
The Board Member Pledge:
I am often asked what it takes for a Board member to be productive and for a Board, as a group, to succeed. Given that every nonprofit is different, it can be confusing. In my three decades of work, however, these six principles are the bedrock foundation of a successful Board and a productive Board member. If each and every board member recited these six principles and actually tried to live up to them, every nonprofit organization would be very successful!
6 Principles of Successful Board Membership
– James P. Reber
The Board Member Pledge:
1. Mission. Everything begins with the Mission. I will know, understand, and believe in the mission and direct all of my actions to support it.
2. Action. I will act upon my belief in the mission. I will attend meetings, and I will actively participate in committees and all activities that are required of a board member.
3. Leadership. I will make a leadership donation to set an example for others and I will do everything in my power to make certain that 100% of the board members also give.
4. Resources. I will actively help develop resources, including soliciting financial contributions, in-kind donations, and selling tickets to special events. I will use my special skills and connections to the community to support the organization.
5. Standards. I will actively participate in establishing and maintaining the highest standards for the board. I will actively help the board to be self-governing, to be self-sustaining, and to periodically assess itself.
6. Responsibilities. I will take my role and the role of the board seriously in three key areas of board responsibility: hiring an Executive Director, determining general policies, and passing a budget annually.
Copyright James P. Reber 2006
Please feel free to distribute this Pledge, but leave my name and information attached to it. I would really appreciate any feedback you may have on it’s use and value to your organization. email@example.com
Download a pdf version of The Board Member Pledge
Return to Professional Fundraising Consultant Page
James P. Reber, Nonprofit Fundraiser, Fundraising Consultant, Public Speaker, Event Planner, Event Producer, San Jose, Silicon Valley, California serves the South Bay Area, including nearby communities of Santa Clara, Cupertino, Milpitas, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Morgan Hill, Campbell, Fremont, Redwood City, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Menlo Park, Atherton, Portola Valley, and San Mateo. Mr. Reber serves Santa Clara County, San Mateo and Santa Cruz Counties, as well as the greater San Francisco bay Area - Alameda, San Francisco, San Benito, Contra Costa, and Monterey Counties.